[ale] [OT] Help with Significant Figures Explaination

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 12:58:02 EDT 2008

A simple explanation of significant figures is:

Given the scale of the measurement, how accurate is the fractional part?

If the measuring scale is meters is it really possible to
measure .0001m?

The definition I was taught and still use is the least significant digit
is 1/2 the smallest MARKED unit on the measuring device. So a meter
stick marked to the millimeter is good to .5mm. By eye, a reasonable
person can decide if something is closer to 1mm or 2mm but judging
beyond that is too imprecise.

Now add in the error. And accumulate the sig fig work and recall that
the result of a calculation will have no more significant digits the
least accurate measurement. The error grows during calculations. It add
during addition and subtraction and multiplies during multiplications
and division. It never gets smaller. It only gets larger!

Thus is it possible to have a result that is of no consequence because
it is on the same scale and smaller than the error.  This is a large
factor is good experimental design: how to make measurements to lower
the impact of error accumulation.