[ale] [OT] Help with Significant Figures Explaination

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Oct 16 20:13:54 EDT 2008

Useful discussion, yes. Much of derivation, no. Nor in the reference
links that I noticed on an insanely brief look.

I do appreciate the comment that sigfigs are over promoted by
high school and chemistry instructors. Guilty as charged I'm afraid.
Unfortunately, most of the texts I seen so far really want to
hit sigfigs, and my students are neither interested nor ready
for a full out statistical presentation. 8-( Nor am I ready to
present one - got a _bunch_ of review to do before I even
consider such a thing.