[ale] Changing ID3 APIC tag, anyone know...

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Oct 15 01:22:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 21:40 -0700, Ken Arromdee wrote:
> I have some MP3 files which have embedded pictures which are of type
> image/jpg.  If you look at the specs at http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames
> it says that the picture should be mime type image/jpeg.  My Mp3 player seems
> to take this very literally and refuses to show pictures which are jpg rather
> than jpeg.
> Does anyone know what tool I can use under Linux, command line, to extract
> and change the mime type from the APIC field while leaving the picture itself
> in place?  eyeD3 and id3v2 don't have this feature, and in general, changing
> the APIC (especially just changing part of the APIC) is rarely implemented
> by any programs.

Before hunting for a specialized tool, did you try

sed -i "s/image\/jpg/image\/jpeg/" *.mp3

when glancing at the id3 specs and eyeD3's code I didn't see a reason
this wouldn't work. I could have missed something though.

Also, instead of storing images in the mp3 files could you just have one image in each directory (I'm assuming this is album art)? That works for any software I've tried.

-Brian