[ale] Data archiving software?

Shane McKinley shane at hemc.coop
Mon Oct 13 11:01:00 EDT 2008

I use NovaStor NovaNET ($$$). It's fast as it uses multiple streams for
each machine over the network at once.

However, the Linux support is limited. I know it runs on OpenSUSE and
Redhat. Check their site for more info:

http://us.novastor.com/index.php

The only downfall that I see is that the catalog they use is basically a
flat file, and tends to get corrupted after simple errors or shutting
down the server when the services fails to exit properly. However, this
is a non-issue if you know when you backed up the last good catalog.

It does D2D2MANY:

                      TAPE
                     /
                    /
DISK ---> DISK ----
                    \
                     \
                      DISK

Which is currently how I use the software to get the data on a hard disk
for fast recovery, to offsite disk for disaster recovery, and then to
tape for long term storage.