[ale] ALE CENTRAL MEETING for Thurs., Oct. 16th, 2008 (at 7:30pm)

aaron aaron at pd.org
Wed Oct 8 10:12:42 EDT 2008

(-: Amazing, I know, to be getting notice more than
a few hours in advance, but here it is! :-)

The feature presentation at our ALE Central Meeting for
7:30pm, Thursday, October 16th, will be:

             *The Joy of Coova"
                        -- or --
   "How I Learned to Stop Worrying
     and Love Radio Networking"

as presented by the mildly paranoid but
always radiant Charles Shapiro

Synopsis:
-- During this program you will witness how our intrepid narrator
conquered his paranoia and installed a WiFi hotspot on his network,
exposing it to the nefarious wiles of all hackers, spammers, and
other evil characters within a 100-yard radius of his home, protected
only by the fig-leaf of a click-through agreement form.

Featuring COOVA (http://coova.org),  a build-your-own-hot-spot kit
built on OpenWRT, <br /> the linux distribution designed to run on
your WiFi router.  With explicit, never-before-shown details on
troubleshooting and other digital hilarity.

bio:
-- Charles Shapiro is a fan of fencing, juggling, gadgetry, RC toys
and most anything the lesser world considers "geek" or "gear head".
Consistent to this calling he has been a professional programmer for
over 10 years, specializing in C and unix with a couple years of C++,
Perl and a plethora of Python in the mix. He can type faster than
most people can talk, is a Linux Lunacy Cruise alumnae, a liberty
minded friend of the EFF and a committed Linux zealot since 1996.

We will be meeting at Emory Law School in our
usual Gambrel Hall, room 1C venue.
Meeting time frame is 7:30pm to ~9:30pm
Directions to Emory Law School can be found
via the side bar link.