[ale] Considerations Regarding Dual Power Supplies

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Oct 6 15:53:22 EDT 2008

You should certainly go to two separate PDUs with separate power
circuits for redundancy.   We do that with all of our servers
specifically to insure loss of one PDU or circuit doesn't take servers
down.

I did see a presentation once on power that talked about the important
thing being that everything had a common ground.  It seems if both
circuits go to the same ground (and it is the shortest path) you don't
have to worry about separate PDUs.

If the PDUs are daisy chained together they're all on the same circuit
anyway so there's no benefit to spreading the load between them.  I've
seen some racks that do things that way (often due to poor planning).