[ale] Question about cable modem connections

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Oct 2 15:08:40 EDT 2008

Jim Lynch wrote:
> Warren Myers wrote:
>> You could preconfigure the router at your house, then send it with
>> her. Restarting the router forces it to regrab the IP address of the
>> device it's connected to (at least on the ones I've used).
>>
>> WMM
> I'm only sending a laptop.  No router.  No need (afaik) for a router.
> Am I missing something?

Sorry, my bad on my response wrt a router solution.  If all you want to
do is connect a different computer to the cable modem, my experiences as
follows have worked with two recent such environments:

Power down the cable modem.  Disconnect the existing computer.  Power up
the cable modem.  Connect new computer.  All is well.

I've done this with two different Comcast modems recently.  In each case
the final solution was a wireless router connected to the modem, but to
insure that the solution is going to work, I first attempt to connect a
different PC to the cable modem.  Don't like the idea of trying to
troubleshoot any more hardware then necessary.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin