[ale] Question about cable modem connections

randy at haganzone.com randy at haganzone.com
Wed Oct 1 12:20:30 EDT 2008

I have a small Linux box running as a firewall at home directly
connected to my cable modem.  I have swapped out NICs on that box with
no need to request MAC changes.  I did have to replace the Cable modem
once.  I just called up comcast, gave them the new MAC to the Modem and
I was on.  My firewall runs DHCP to all the computers on the inside with
a switch and Wireless access point.  Sometimes when I'm troubleshooting
my connection I will connect the cable modem to my laptop directly.  If
you just have one PC I don't see a need for a router, unless you want it
to act as a firewall.

Regards,
Randy