[ale] Question about cable modem connections

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 08:04:48 EDT 2008

All the cable modem crap I've dealt with require a registered MAC address.
So the installer sets up the box i.e. - plugs it in) and then phones in to
have the new device "approved" witht he MAC address of the WINDOWS PC
plugged into it. The modem does not provide dhcp. The upstream cable service
provides it.

 I would recommend providing a broadband router of some sort (wireless
optional) as the WAN side by default is looking for dhcp service.

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>wrote:

> I'm about to set out on a project that's bound to be hazardous to my
> marriage and maybe my health.  I'm sending my wife to her mother's house
> (who is 91) with a laptop running Xubuntu.  When she gets there, she'll
> order internet service from the local cable provider.  While I have no
> hope that the installer will even know what Linux is, I'm hoping it will
> be plug and play.
>
> My question is, do cable modems work like DSL modems in that they have a
> DHCP server built in so all you have to do is plug a computer that works
> with a DHCP enabled router?  Or do you have to do some manual
> configuration?
>
> The reason I asked is that the little lady is a modern day Luddite  wrt
> computers.  After about 5 years I think she's finally able to plug her
> SD card from the camera into the reader and when the window pops up with
> her pictures, she knows to open another window and find the right
> directory to drag and drop the pictures into.  I don't think she's
> mastered creating a new directory without help yet however.  She's never
> caught on to what directory trees are all about yet.
>
> When she was teaching school, she always found a bright student that
> understood computers to help her.  At home, I'm her bright student.  :(
>
> Thanks for any pointers,
> Jim.

James P. Kinney III