[ale] DJGPP questions

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Nov 30 02:04:35 EST 2008

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 22:06:53 -0800 (PST)
arromdee at rahul.net (Ken Arromdee) wrote:

> ls is fileutils.  I got it from
> http://www.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/ and 4.1 is the most
> recent.

Ahh, that's right.  What is today coreutils was once fileutils,
shellutils, and textutils.  It'd seem that DJGPP hasn't been updated in
a very long time---those projects were folded together for the 5.0
release of the tools, which happened back in early 2003.

> I have LS_COLORS but it doesn't help.  It has to have --color before
> the LS_COLORS affects it.

Yeah, you'll probably have to have a batch file that will run "ls
--color=auto" if you want to retain your current setup.

> Bash is there as bsh204br2.zip dated May 2008; I don't see a 3.2.

Eek, yeah, very old.  Is DJGPP abandoned?

> I think the solution is not to use djgpp.  I'm trying cygwin now...

Maybe, maybe not.  If you're looking to make 32-bit PM DOS binaries,
Cygwin probably isn't going to be of much assistance unless you can
build a win32-x-dpmi version of GCC.  While building GCC as a cross
compiler is not horribly difficult, it's absolutely non-trivial to do
when the target of the cross-compiler is DOS, as I seem to recall.

That said, if you're looking to do DOS 32-bit PM software, you might
want to check out OpenWatcom.

If you just need a compiler that'll get you console mode binaries and
depending on Windows is fine, then you should have no problem with
Cygwin.  If you further need to not depend on the POSIX emulation that
comes with Cygwin in your resulting binaries, you may want to look for
MingW, which you can use from within your Cygwin environment, but the
resulting binaries are Win32 binaries without a dependency on the
Cygwin DLL (the tradeoff being that you have to use Win32
functionality, instead of POSIX functionality, for interacting with
things.  You'll be depending on Microsoft's C runtime instead).

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
http://www.trausch.us/