[ale] ALL-in-one Printer religion?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 18:47:14 EST 2008

I DO NOT RECOMMEND HP MULTI-FUNCTION INKJETS!!!!!!!!!

The latest crop of HP inkjets have expiring ink. If you have an expensive
enough model (i.e. with a network card) you can set the date back a year or
so and get around it. I ran with that for a while until one of the ink tanks
really did run out. About 3 months after replacing it, it leaked all into
the working of the ink pump and ruined the printer. Parts only repair cost
is about the price of a new Brother color laser all-in-one.

I have a Brother Color Laser and it's a great device. I don't expect to get
another muli-function printer any time soon. If I do, it will NOT be another
HP. The one I have gave 4 years of occasional use but it took 3 replacements
under warraty to get that far. The first one was DOA. The second went dead
after 2 weeks. The third one would not recognize the keyboard (EXPENSIVE
printer!). The fourth one did not recognize the ink tanks until I replaced
them. The new ones had the extra contact to allow an expiration date to be
read. At $38 each for 4 tanks I was very disatisfied.

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Jack Schneider <puck at volunteerwireless.net
> wrote:

> -- Hi, All
> I have had a HP 2700 series printer for occasional use.  It died!
> 'Will not power up.  Spent a hour or so with HP tech support and they
> said buy a new printer.  Looks like this may be at hand. It's not that
> they haven't had this problem before:
>

> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01321436
>
> So what my question is.... Has anyone had good luck with a 4in1 printer
> and what Brands, Just work???
>
> My S/O has used a hp Laserjet 5 for ~10 years-- Tens of Thousands of
> pages.   So having this HP crap out spoils that image... with only a
> few hundred prints..
>
> TIA, Jack

James P. Kinney III