[ale] Pros & cons on encrypting disks

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sat Nov 29 12:42:52 EST 2008

Just want to get a feel for the pros and cons of encrypting my disk(s).
I just created a VM to install Fedora 10 before upgrading my system. I
chose to use the encryption option to see how it worked in the install
process and how it behaves once installed. I did notice that the boot
partition cannot be encrypted. Is this just a Fedora thing or is that
the encryption key is not present until the initial boot process is
completed? So what are the pros and the cons to this?

TIA
Scott