[ale] [OT] Help with burning recovery disks from HP

Stephen Cristol stephen at bee.net
Fri Nov 28 01:01:00 EST 2008

On Nov 25, 2008, at 11:52 PM, Robert Reese~ wrote:
> Have you tried tapping F11 repeatedly during and after POST?  I'm
> assuming yes,
> though trying to be thorough.

I had tried this many times before my original posting, but today I
made a more aggressive attempt. In one of many attempts today, I
reached a recovery dialog box that I had not seen before and that did
not respond to the PS2 keyboard or mouse. (Inserting a USB mouse and
keyboard did not help at this point.) Many other attempts terminated
in a blue screen (not BSOD) similar in shade to that seen as a
background to the dialog box, though I cannot say with certainty that
it was the same shade. In these cases, I had control of the mouse
with both a PS2 and USB mouse. While the response to the Esc key
(boot menu) and F10 key (setup) are pretty deterministic, it seems
like the response to the F11 key is random.

I'd welcome any thoughts on what sort of incantation coupled with
pressing the F11 key might get me to the recovery dialog with a
working mouse.

> Also, what model HP?

It is an HP Pavillion a6228x

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-a6228x-athlon/
4507-3118_7-32787360.html?tag=mncol;psum

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.