[ale] RTF

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 08:19:05 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:34 PM, aaron <aaron at pd.org> wrote:

> Open Office will deal with rtf.
>
> A lot of web browsers will accept it too.
>
> Gmail uses it for their "fancy" formatted
> email option.
>
> It was just a Mafia$oft attempt to undermine
> HTML formatting with their own published
> sub-standard.

-GONG- !!

RTF was Microsofts answer to WordPerfect's  document format being closed.
They wanted to get a leg up in the office suite market and couldn't get
moving (as Word was an "also ran" at that time and Word Perfect was 95:1
market share).

RTF succeeded wildly and Microsoft gained much traction in thatmarket. So
they had to slowly get rid of RTF (which I think got the "standard" stamp of
approval at one point) as other word processing competitors  began to use
it. So now we have the 4 bazillion versions of .doc, .docx mess and Word
barely can export to RTF any more.

Yay! ASCII !

> peace
> aaron
>

> On 2008, Nov, 25, , at 10:15 PM, Sean wrote:
>
> > I'm running FC7 with  all the normal aps.  Just got a file in
> > rtf format (Rich Text Format?).  OO and Scribus can't deal with
> > it.  Suggestions would be helpful.
> >
> > Sean

James P. Kinney III