[ale] [OT] Help with burning recovery disks from HP

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Nov 26 03:08:09 EST 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 02:41:39 -0500
Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:

> > The most recent HP systems I have seen included the ability to burn
> > to DVD, but only once, and only before you use the restore
> > partition.
>
> Advanced users can find simple instructions online to re-enable the
> burning of the recovery disks.  And, of course, once the system is
> recovered via the disks the ability to make another set presents
> itself.

Maybe on some systems.  I know that the s7700n that I have did not
permit that; the restored version of Windows didn't even have those
utilities installed (that is to say, that the restore partition does
_not_ give you a setup that is 100% the way it comes from the factory).

> > But, unless there is an ISO image present, burning that recovery
> > partition to any media is, while probably possible, not something
> > that I know of anyone who knows how to do it.  It's probably system-
> > dependent, too, the way OEMs do things these days.
>
> The recovery stuff is system dependent, which is why we need the
> model number. But alas there is no ISO  image to burn.

One would think that if they wanted people to use the restore media,
they'd still be providing optical media to restore from.  It is clear
that they didn't consider what happens if the hard drive shoots itself
in the foot and the user doesn't want to---or doesn't have the time
to---send the machine back to the vendor.

	--- Mike