[ale] To: old timers that have a gmail account

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sun Nov 23 02:25:15 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 10:19 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> I should dig them out, hook them up to the old 3b2 SVR3 boxes I have and
> do a museum presentation for ALE.
>
> Hey, that's an idea.  We should have a meeting where everyone brings out
> that old hardware they've got hanging around for show and tell.  We
> could add software to that list.
>
> I've still got my original floppy disc with the 1.1 version of Netscape
> on it.  Let's see, I've got some old drdos software hanging around and
> some os2 stuff as well.
>
> Maybe we could have a retro-install day.  Collect a $1 from everyone and
> whoever is able to get the oldest release of Linux installed wins the pot.

This [0] probably takes the cake.

It would be fun to see who can install linux on the oldest hardware.
Sadly, I've pruned my collection and don't have access to anything
really old right now. Well, there is the PDP-11, but we're afraid to
turn it on... Not that there's a linux for it anyway. I did pick up a
vaxstation today; surprisingly enough someone has ported the kernel to
VAX. [1]

[0] http://lwn.net/Articles/263562/
[1] http://linux-vax.sourceforge.net/

-Brian