[ale] Leaving Linux for Outlook plugin

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Sat Nov 22 08:41:36 EST 2008

PairOfTwins wrote:
> Anyone:
>
> A recruiter who has been enjoying Linux for years asked me to replace it
> with XP!  Regrettably, she explains that a special Outlook plugin would
> save her so much work she could cut back her assistant's hours.  I'm
> suggesting XP in a VM, but she's hesitant due to speed issues.  Also it
> seems that this Outlook plugin would save stuff to her desktop, and
> she's afraid of having stuff spread across her Linux desktop and XP desktop.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated...

If you use VMware Workstation 6.5, there is a mode called Unity where
you can basically have your Windows apps run natively on your desktop
with your Linux apps. I've used it specifically for outlook 2007 and had
success.

Another option is to try and use Evolution which supposedly has an
Exchange Connector to make it talk to an Exchange server. I have never
gotten this to work however.

hope this helps

Vernard