[ale] What's the best geek store in Atlanta area?

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Nov 20 12:39:55 EST 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Robert Reese~ wrote:

>>> Yes, if you want to expose your customer to the worst possible
>>> customer service and overly expensive prices.
>>>

>> I would suggest that that 'title' belongs to Best Buy...
>
> Okay.  Marginally.
>
> P.S.: I too have been asked to leave stores for giving other shoppers better and
> contradictory advice.  More than once.  And funny, more than once the other
> shopper became upset at the store for that, defended me - a fellow shopper - and
> left empty handed. :)

Ok. So _far_ I've not been asked to leave a store, although I've been
tempted to jump in once or twice. Trouble is, I've also worked the other
side of the street (just long enough to learn that I suck at the job). If
the sales droid doesn't emphasize some products, baby dont get no dinner
(forget new shoes).

Couple of years ago I had fun talking with a marketing manager/sales
droid over salesmanship. He told a tale of a location he managed where he
had an "honest" salesman who, lack of a better term, wasted two hours
agreeing with the customer about how wonderful a particular product was
and really selling the product, but there were none in stock! Worse, none
would ever be in stock since it was a brand that the store didn't sell!
And still worse was that the man didn't help _other_ customers because he
was fooling around with the first.

Understanding that the floor salesman's job is to get the customer out the
door with product and a paid for receipt goes a fair way to understanding
many obvious cases of "incompetence".

FWIW, I have refused to use Circuit City for nearly 20 years after a
service manager saw the "Dr." on my business card, and started looking for
free medical advice. I'm a chemist, but I couldn't convince him of that.
Then they didn't repair the broken device so it stayed fixed.

I feel sorry for the competent employees I'm sure were salted into Circuit
City - but I feel no sense of loss with their bankrupcy. Even if they
survive, I doubt I'll use them again.