[ale] google and gpl

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Nov 18 23:53:23 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 21:35 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I was just thinking about google and the gpl. We all know that google
> wouldn't be able to run were it not for Linux. We all also know they
> use a ton of Linux stuff and don't _have_ to release their
> modifications as they are in that special grey area of _using_ the
> code and not distributing the code. They only show the output of the
> code.
>
> In fact, it was just this sort of application service providor not
> giving back that led to the GPL v. 3. (yes, google does give back in
> other ways but not the stuff they code for their applications,
> machines, etc)

Huh? The GPLv3 leaves the ASP loophole open.  Perhaps you're thinking of
the GNU Affero General Public License version 3, which says

"Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, if you modify the
Program, your modified version must prominently offer all users
interacting with it remotely through a computer network (if your version
supports such interaction) an opportunity to receive the Corresponding
Source of your version by providing access to the Corresponding Source
from a network server at no charge, through some standard or customary
means of facilitating copying of software. This Corresponding Source
shall include the Corresponding Source for any work covered by version 3
of the GNU General Public License that is incorporated pursuant to the
following paragraph."

-Brian