[ale] google and gpl

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Tue Nov 18 22:50:15 EST 2008

GPL v3, to the best of my knowledge, does not place any additional
requirements on users of the code than GPL v2.  I might be wrong, so let me
know if you're aware of such a case.

The big problem is that Linus is UNABLE to make the kernel GPLv3.  Kernel
contributors, unlike contributors to the GNU project, are not required to
transfer copyright to Linus.  As a result, relicensing the kernel under GPL
v3 would require ALL contributors to agree.  Even if there was no objection,
getting in contact with them all is dicey at best, since many have since
left the community or even passed away.

There was a discussion of this on Groklaw around the time GPLv3 was in its
final drafts, but I can't seem to find it now.

David