[ale] Strange ISC DHCP behavior...?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Nov 16 20:39:25 EST 2008

Am a bit surprised to not see anything as to _why_ this would happen,
but perhaps someone has seen this before.

I've a network where everything uses DHCP.  The server is Ubuntu
Intrepid, using ISC BIND9 and DHCP3 software.  They're set up to talk
to each other and do the whole DDNS thing so that when a machine gets
an address, the machine's hostname is put in the DNS server.

But, this isn't happening for my _printer_.  It does so with everything
else.  Here's a snippet of the leases file:

lease 10.0.0.6 {
  starts 1 2008/11/17 00:47:07;
  ends 2 2008/11/18 00:47:07;
  cltt 1 2008/11/17 00:47:07;
  binding state active;
  next binding state free;
  hardware ethernet 00:19:66:60:7b:2e;
  set ddns-txt = "000a7c8ceb65f779bf14de88dc5c7257af";
  set ddns-fwd-name = "zest.spicerack.trausch.us.";
  client-hostname "zest";
}
lease 10.0.0.4 {
  starts 1 2008/11/17 00:49:15;
  ends 2 2008/11/18 12:49:15;
  cltt 1 2008/11/17 00:49:15;
  binding state active;
  next binding state free;
  hardware ethernet 00:04:00:21:45:89;
  uid "\001\000\004\000!E\211";
  client-hostname "e250dn";
}
lease 10.0.0.2 {
  starts 1 2008/11/17 00:49:58;
  ends 2 2008/11/18 00:49:58;
  cltt 1 2008/11/17 00:49:58;
  binding state active;
  next binding state free;
  hardware ethernet 00:16:44:e9:0d:60;
  uid "\001\000\026D\351\015`";
  set ddns-txt = "31d4142b1c8f62d024ec624e80437a9990";
  set ddns-fwd-name = "rosemary.spicerack.trausch.us.";
  client-hostname "rosemary";
}

"e250dn" is, of course, the printer.  Rosemary is a WiFi-connected
laptop running VIsta (not mine!) and zest is my wire-connected desktop
running Ubuntu.  The printer is a Lexmark E250dn, with seemingly
typical Lexmark print/network controller firmware.  I can't find any
reason that the printer would not show up; its DHCP parameters
(hostname, etc) are set, and the DHCP server *sees* them... it just
doesn't add the name to BIND, I don't use DHCP reservations or any of
that stuff.

None of the machines have any special stanzas created for them, either,
in the DHCP configuration file; it's all network-global configuration.
So it should, I'd think, put everything in BIND.

Anyway, has anyone seen this and maybe know of something obscure that
would be causing it?

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.