[ale] Hardened Industrial Miniature PCs

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 14:41:45 EST 2008

small, fanless, no moving parts is always a good thing. Logicsupply.com has
a huge selection. DNS and DHCP are pretty easy to do in a tiny, fanless
format. LDAP is pretty intensive unless the size is small. Although there
are some pretty beefy systems now. Most can be had with SSD's as well.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM, <hbbs at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm pondering situations where I have highly important internal network
> services like DNS, DHCP, or LDAP but I want an alternative to pairs of 1U
> servers in a rack in some sort of automatic or manual failover scheme.
>
> I'm envisioning instead small industrial-market PCs that are built
> specifically to be hard to break - top-drawer components, rigid
> manufacturing controls. Minimal CPU and RAM, CF drive in the 4GB range.
>
> I'd be interested to know of any sources for such devices and/or what you
> think of my idea.  Alternatives?

James P. Kinney III