[ale] SATA disk naming

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Nov 11 22:18:24 EST 2008

Here is something that happened to me strange today.

We have a server we are using to run VMware Server 2.0.  It has
2 250GB SATA drives used as a RAID1 array.  These devices are sda
and sdb.

I noticed an ad at MicroCenter for a 1TB SATA drive @ $129.  We took
the ad to Fry's in Alpharetta and they matched the priced.  I installed
the drive in the 3rd SATA port on the MB.  I booted Linux and for some
odd reason Linux made the 1TB drive sdb and pused the old sdb to sdc.
Not a real problem because the md driver was able to figure this out.  I
thought maybe the vendor who build the server plugged the cables in wrong
but I checked and everything looked good.

Is there a reason this happened?  Can I force a drive to a device
name by using a command line argument while booting Linux?

On another note, I can't believe that a 1TB drive can be had for $130!
We are going to use it to backup non-critical data.

--
Chris Fowler
OutPost Sentinel, LLC
Support @ SIP/support at pbx.opsdc.com