[ale] OT: FF3.x masquerading as IE? on WinBlowz

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sat Nov 8 20:20:00 EST 2008

Byron Jeff wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 04:38:20PM -0500, Scott Castaline wrote:
>> There used to be a plugin or extension that would allow FF to masquerade
>> as IE6. Does any6one know if that still exists and will it also "fool"
>> the site into believing that you're a WinBlowz machine. I haven't had a
>> need for this in a while, But my significant other, now a loyal Linux
>> user, has a need to access a site that only works for a PC that is
>> running FF or IE on either Windows or OSX only no Penguins allowed.
>
> It's called the User Agent Switcher:
>
> Find it here:

> BAJ

That was it, I couldn't remember what it was. I did install it and it
kind of works. One site indicated that I was blocking requests for OS
identification and would only work with official M$ software, it even
tried to redirect me to an MSN site. Another site required their printer
software installed, took a chance and installed it using cxoffice, but
the site insists that the software is not installed, so I removed it.
For the record, it's just one of those coupon sites that my significant
other wanted to access. I tried to 'splain to her (Lucy, you have some
'splainin to do!) that these sites like to install spyware or adware or
some other way to track you and annoy the hell out of you.