[ale] why trailing spaces for init process (RHEL5)

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Sat May 31 12:43:17 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 10:11 -0400, Jerry Yu wrote:
> I redirected 'ps -ef' to a file for some compliance exercise. saw a
> blank line after init.
> opened it up in vi and realized the 'blank line' is not a separate
> line, but a lot of trailing spaces after the init process name. This
> is on a RHEL5/i386 server.
>
> I know init is special, but didn't notice that it is special in this
> way. anybody knows why?
>
>       1 UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
>       2 root         1     0  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:02 init
> [5]
>       3 root         2     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:00 [migration/0]

	Wild speculation follows, maybe ;-)

	It used to be that programs would change their names after starting by
copying another string to argv[0].  The extra spaces may be part of a
buffer to allow longer names than "init" ("telinit", etc.).

	On the other hand, I don't know why init itself would masquerade as any
other program.  Busybox, on the other hand.... ;-)

Danny