[ale] web page creation app

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Fri May 30 16:25:58 EDT 2008

> is there a semi-simple app to create web pages? I tried OO-write
> with the web-page wizard, but that doesn't really do it for me, or
> maybe I just need to work a little harder at learning it..
>
> I just want to put up a simple home page for my domain, and
> probably some folders with pictures... and the usual links to our
> favorite spots...

Well, learning HTML is a helluva lot easier than learning Linux.  Trust me, two hours a day for a week or two and you'll have a good command over the language.

Or, just bypass that and drop a Content Management System on the site.  Wordpress is probably the easiest.  Drupal and others are similar in their ease of installation and use.  Or, if you plan on a heavy-duty system, go with Joomla.  Chances are, your host will already have a "three-click" install.  Never _that_ simple, but you can have it installed and running in under five minutes.  Seriously.  Give it a try.

If you are interested in learning HTML, do it when you don't feel pressured.  And get a good book on it, like Laura Lemay's book; I consider hers to be the best but YMMV.  Once you have a good grip on it, you'll be much happier with any system you encounter.

Oh, and no matter what you do, get started on CSS and JavaScript.  You'll find them lifesavers!

Cheers,
Robert~