[ale] /USR vs. /USR/LOCAL

Marc Ferguson mferguson at digitalalias.net
Thu May 29 16:27:00 EDT 2008

Hi,

*What is the difference between /usr and /usr/local?
*
I'm very excited that my wife has finally joined the linux community
(through openSUSE 10.3).  Now that I have to hold her hand for almost
everything she does with the system, she asks lots of questions and /usr vs.
/usr/local totally stumps me.  I thought I knew, but trying to explain it to
her helped me realize that I don't know the difference.  Thanks.

--
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
-Rev1:4