[ale] Fedora 9

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 27 20:48:45 EDT 2008

pirut = multiple packages
package-kit = one at a #%$@$%&%^*ing time!

Save sanity:

open a command prompt and type
su
<enter root password>
yum install yumex
<download, install, get all happy>
yumex
<select multiple things to install>

The one thing that the new package grabber does is provide more details
about the package (changelog and some others) and it makes a non-admin have
the ability to _upgrade_only_ previously installed packages listed as
security or bug fixes without needed root access. They can NOT install new
stuff.

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>
wrote:

> Scott Castaline wrote:
> > Jim Kinney wrote:
> >> And it's a rip-snorting pile of dog poo. You can only install one
> >> package at a time. Maybe that's easier for noobs but I found it to be
> >> a time waster. yumex is great for all purpose use and pirut can also
> >> be reinstalled (cli:  yum update yum rpm && yum install pirut yumex ).
> >>
> >> The big change is the new package tool no longer asks for root
> >> password for updates to installed packages. It requires root password
> >> to install new packages. I can see the logic of that but I'm not real
> >> happy with it.
> > I too thought that was a little odd. As far as pirut goes, when you go
> > to install pirut it installs gnome-packagekit. But I agree, it's a PITA
> > when you want to install a bunch of packages, you gotta wait for each
> > one to complete before it allows you to request more.
>
> Are you talking about pirut or gnome-packagekit?? (as far as installing
> only one package at a time).
>
> My experiences with pirut indicate you can select multiple packages to
> be installed all at once, but it's not 'intuitively obvious to the
> casual observer.'
>

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>  - Benjamin Franklin

James P. Kinney III