[ale] Ubuntu forum Subject "Who else thinks 8.04 is a MAJOR dissapointment?"

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Sun May 25 10:37:08 EDT 2008

I'm a minimal desktop user..
I mostly use a web browser and Xterm/SSH,
joe, xmms/vlc (background music), Skype and x-ten softphone.

I upped my "piece of junk desktop" w/Nvidia card to Ubuntu Linux 8.04 -first-
Pretty, everything worked exept skype:
   "padsp skype" on a staticly compiled skype works, sounds not as good
    as it was, but it works. ("padsp" is a Pulse Audio DSP shim)

    XMMS with it's ability to save mp3 streams wasn't available at the time so I've
    been using VLC.

On my big HP laptop, 7.10 did not like the video card, display or external
display unless I tweaked it a lot, never did get dual screens working well
or the broadcom ethernet card. On 8.04, the screen drivers are excellent,
dual screens work (nVidia), and bcwcutter worked out of the box on my wifi
card. I also did not have to do the "noapci doscsi" command lines.

On the two other desktops I have put it on.. It's worked well.
Our "Island Sales Girl" is floored that a 1ghz desktop Ubuntu machine
I scrounged and put on her desk is easier to use, faster and more bug-free
than her 2.4ghz core2 Vista crapware infested laptop.

I have yet to convert my home MythBuntu machine or my other laptop..
but probably will soon. In other words: I'm very happy with Ubuntu 8.04.
Kudos Ubuntu and the entire Linux community.