[ale] Fedora 9

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun May 18 23:50:02 EDT 2008

On 05/18/2008 07:13:43 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> Has anybody tried Fedora 9 yet? Any particular problems with the
> install? Any suggestions as to what to avoid?

Scott

Sort of watching the Fedora mailing list, but not really paying
attention to the F9 issues. So don't take this as gospel as I can mess
things up.

There seems to be something about KDE 4 that has generated some
traffic. I'm ignoring it since I pretty much don't use KDE. I don't
think the problems are real show stoppers tho.

The issues with pulse audio that came up in F8 seem to have largely
died down. I think I've only seen one complaint so far, but I will bet
that pulse still has a bit of maturing to do in F9.

If you use nVidia video cards, there seems to be an issue of some sort
due to changes in Xorg. Seems like the nv and neuveau(sp?) open source
drivers have issues, and the binary bits from nVidia are not completely
ready to go with the new Xorg stuff. Since I run older nVidia cards, I
probably should be paying attention to this, but I'm not at the moment.
On the other hand, the noise level from this issue doesn't seem to be a
deafening roar of "I got that problem too", so this may be something
limited to some hardware. Like I said, I haven't been paying good
attention. 8-/.

Hope I got everything, and hope the result helps.