[ale] Totem, GStreamer, and DVDs

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun May 18 16:17:14 EDT 2008

+1 on ogle. I have had absolutely no issues with playing any DVD ever. Every
stupid trick the movie idiots make to try and stop me from watching a disk I
PAID FOR OR LEGALLY RENTED ogle has worked just fine. It's the default DVD
viewer on the laptop for road trips so the kids don't whine "are we there
yet" every 10 minutes like Bart Simpson.

I have not been impressed (yet) with totem. So much so I generally remove it
and replace it with mplayer (and mplayerplug-in and all the codecs I can
find) and xine (uses the same codecs).

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> Marc Ferguson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have Totem 2.20.1 using GStreamer 0.10.15.  When I first tried to play
> > a DVD using Totem I got an error message saying it didn't have the right
> > codex.  I installed GStreamer, but I still got the codex error.  I went
> > on GStreamer's site and found a command that tests the plugins.. it told
> > me I had over 100 plugins.  But the error message still came up.
> >
> > Over the course of a day or so I must have rebooted my system.
> > Miraculously the DVD played, I thought to myself, I guess X server
> > needed to be restarted or something.
> >
> > Well; I got my next DVD from Netflix (King of Kong) and I'm getting the
> > same codex error.  Does anyone know what's going on?  Thanks.
>
> Totem doesn't support DVD menus. Do you really want to use it? If you
> want a pure DVD player, look at Ogle [0]. If you'd like a
> general-purpose media player that supports DVD menus, look at VLC [1].
>
> Perhaps the DVD has one of the new layers of digital restrictions
> management (in addition to the usual one the libdvdcss2 can fix) that
> prevents playback. Here [2] is an example of this sort of thing and a fix.
>
> [0] http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/
> [1] http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
> [2] http://tobias.rautenkranz.ch/libdvdread_ifo.html
>
> -Brian