[ale] Details on Installfest '08

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Fri May 16 19:42:44 EDT 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> About the actual installation, do I bring a computer or is it mostly
> demonstrations?

Your choice, plenty to do and see without dragging a box around... Just don't
make the same mistake I made a few years ago. Similar to your situation, I
had successfully installed and was already using Mandrake Linux. Still very
much a newb, decided to bring my box to an installfest for help with one of
the more 'geeky' distros.

Someone there had a brand new set Slackware disks. So the choice was made,
everything went well except one small glitch... Slackware ate my Mandrake
partition:-( Fortunately I had made fresh back ups that morning and only lost
a handfull of emails. But, instead of the super duper triple booter I was
expecting, I only got to pretend to be a real geek for a few hours before
reinstalling Mandrake.

Still run Mandriva, no longer even dual boot. (98SE will not install on this
MB and I don't need, want or *trust* XP) Have learned use a spare HD when
playing with fire:)
--
William