[ale] Recall: Job Opportunity- Linux/System Admin

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Thu May 15 10:38:42 EDT 2008

Seriously.

Instead of taking the opportunity to educate, we sit in our pompous
little chairs and throw epithets to make ourselves look smart.

This hearkens all the way back to the list splitting war of 2007.
Some people just don't want to come here for:

A) Off Topic rants and discussions regarding nothing to do with Linux
(ad infinitum, might I add) (it has gotten better since I've been
back, tho)
B) Treatment received when a question is asked
C) Treatment received when a mistake is made

We are a user's GROUP.  We exist for the welfare of the GROUP, and not
the few (or the one.  1$ to Mr. Spock)  Education of the n00bs and
uninitiated should be our biggest and best goal.  If we get some
education on more senior topics along the way, great.  One way, we
individually benefit.  The other way, the whole Linux community
benefits.

How many young users/admins/curious have moved on because of treatment
received here?  How many potential Linux jobs have we not heard about
because people are afraid to come here and post because of the
treatment they'd receive at the hands of the "elite" on this board?

Guys, you and I both know that the percentage of HR people who have
even a passing clue about what we do is slim.  These are HR
professionals..  people like my dad, your uncle, somebody's mom.  They
are not IT professionals, they are just HR professionals.  In that
business, computer expertise is a soft skill that it is "nice to
have".  They need to be able to conduct searches, work with Word and
Outlook, and be personable, friendly, and knowledgeable enough to do a
first-screening of a person to get them to the next step in the process.

Honestly, given the type of work we do, it's a remarkably effective
method.  The average recruiter/HR professional will closely mirror
what we might expect out of users we might support.  If we hack off
the recruiter, chances are very good we'd hack off our users, and
wouldn't be a good fit for whatever it might be they're representing.

One day we should go ahead and put a bullet in this attitude.  Now
would be good.

--jms