[ale] X over ssh to linux box using putty?

Tim Meanor timothy at meanor.net
Mon May 12 11:26:11 EDT 2008

I've used putty to send the X session over ssh to my local
workstation, but I seem to recall that performance wasn't great
(moving windows around, refreshes, etc, were just slow enough to be
annoying).  For some reason, I think that XDMCP was a little snappier,
probably because I wasn't using ssh for the XDMCP connection (is it
even possible to use ssh for this?  I haven't tried).  In both cases,
I was using a Windows XP computer with Cygwin as the local X server.
That was a couple years ago, and it wasn't on a gigabit network, and
it was a gnome-based desktop, so you'd probably get better performance
using fluxbox over gig-E.

-Tim