[ale] Trouble Retrieving Files under Hardy Heron

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon May 12 08:33:00 EDT 2008

When you boot with the newer version, check the scsi names of the drives.
The new board may have the ordering different and thus the grub error.

Also, the newer version probably has the newer drive names so that all
drives are /dev/sdx and no more /dev/hdx.

grep through dmesg for /dev/[sh]d[abcdefg] for clues as to where things
went.

It is also possible that the event that toasted the first hardware also
toasted that drive. :-(

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:21 AM, <george_reeves at comcast.net> wrote:

> I am between a rock and a hard place and I need suggestions.  Here is my
> predicament:
>
> 1. I had a Pentium 4 system with 1Gb of memory.  I had multiple IDE drives
> in "mobile racks" or "cassettes" so that I could boot the particular system
> that I wanted.  I had a disk with Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, a disk with Windows
> XP, a disk with Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, etc.
>
> 2. I had an overheating problem and fried my CPU.  I replaced the mobo,
> CPU, and memory [Asus P5GC-MX/1333 / Pentium Dual Core 6550 / 2Gb RAM] and
> am having difficulty booting Kubuntu Feisty Fawn.  It gives me a GRUB Error
> 15.
>
> 3. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on a spare SATA drive successfully and thought
> I could boot to Hardy Heron and mount the Feisty Fawn IDE and copy the data
> files from it, but no luck.  My fstab show only the SATA drive; my file
> browser sees a "SCSI" drive, but when I try to mount it, I get a "Unable to
> mount location; can't mount file" message.  When I look at the properties, I
> see--
>        Type:           unknown type
>        Size:                   unknown
>        Location:               computer:///
>        Volume:         unknown
>        MIME type:      application/octet-stream
>
> I can create a mount point for it, but how do I reference the drive to
> mount it?  My BIOS sees the drive also.
>
> 4. I think my best bet would be to get around the Error 15 GRUB error, but
> how do I correct the error to get around it?
>
> 5. I have booted to a Knoppix live-CD and an Ubuntu live-CD, but I can't
> see the IDE disk there.
>
> Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
>
> George Reeves
> WA4TNU

James P. Kinney III