[ale] Dual Opteron Motherboard Recommendations

Brian W. Neu ale at advancedopen.com
Sat May 10 20:40:41 EDT 2008

Greg,

    I've put both dual Tyan and Supermicro into production several years
ago.  Not a peep out of either board.  They've both been rock solid on
Fedora installs.  Newegg reviews will usually steer you in the right
direction.  There are plenty of Linux users that post about the
compatibility of the motherboard with their distro.
    I'd reconsider your stance on buying a new processor.  I just bought
a dual core Athlon 64 5400+ (2.8 Ghz) for $87 . . . and it absolutely
screams(though I did overclock it just a tad).  If you go AM2 & DDR2
800, make sure to buy a processor with speed rating evenly divisible by
400Mhz, so your RAM runs at full speed.
    If you must have with a server designed processor though, consider
crossing over to Intel.  Unless you're building some kind of massive
cluster, I'd go with the Xeons and get one with 45nm manufacturing
tech.  It looks like you can get a Xeon E3110 3Gz (65w) with a 1333Mhz
FSB for $205. AMD has sorta fallen behind for the moment in the server
processor market, as sad as that is for me to say.  I just don't think
they are competitive enough for the moment.

my $0.02

-B