[ale] Thuderbird qustio

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri May 9 13:10:45 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 11:08 -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I've just installed Thunderbird to try it over Evolution.  Evolution
> is
> a memory hog.
>
> Evolution has an option to check each folder for messages.  I do not
> see this option in TB.  I use procmail on the server to sort my mail.
> I have nio rules in the mail client so it is critical that my client
> check each and every folder every 5 minutes.  Does TB do this or can
> it be turned on in the advance configuration editor.

Warning: purely opinion-oriented post here.  :)

I have been bouncing back-and-forth between these to every so often
between classes.  I am finding that (at least for the way I use such a
program) Evolution is currently the best, for the following reasons:

  * Some people (very annoyingly) expect HTML mail.  I can change
    a message's format using the keyboard while I am composing the
    mail to best suit the desires of the person that I am writing to
    (though I do sometimes forget).
  * It handles my school's NNTP servers better than Thunderbird does.
    TB currently doesn't like 'em, and I can't get it to like 'em.
  * Evolution is, IMHO, easier to modify than TB, which has proven
    useful.  (Then again, I find myself having a hard time navigating
    the mozilla code at all.)
  * Evolution doesn't disobey me when I say "plain text here" and
    "HTML there." It just complies happily; Thunderbird gets confused.

There are downsides to it.  Namely, it's not perfect.  Posting to a
newsgroup is a bit unnatural feeling.  It's a bit resource-intensive.
For it to be docked properly, one has to use AllTray, which is
unmaintained and starting to fall apart, and needs to be replaced with a
more stable, cleaner solution.

But, for the moment anyway, it is still seemingly the best GUI mail/PIM
program, I think.  It's by no stretch of the imagination perfect, but
it's the least invasive for the way that I use a program.

That having been said, I _really_ like the Lightning add-on combined
with the Google provider for Thunderbird.  Thunderbird's core just isn't
suitable enough for me, though.  YMMV, of course.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us
cell: 678-522-7934                       im: mike at trausch.us, jabber