[ale] dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu May 8 23:18:08 EDT 2008

I always love the vi vs emacs stuff. It lets me tell the difference between
the programmers and the admins. :)

The database machine just horked, today is payroll day, the data can't get
sent over until YOU get that clunker back up and running.

you are sitting at a prompt in run level 1. Nothing will mount. Every module
you hand load pukes errors across STDOUT. You have to hand edit probably 20
configs in /etc so you will get paid on time this week. You had to strip the
machine down to 32MB to make it boot since the board is hosed and the new
one won't arrive by FedEx until  the day after tomorrow. The boss, the boss'
assistant, 3 co-workers and that person from bookkeeping are all standing
behind you.
sweating
smelling darkly of fear
you hear a grinding sound faintly from the machine. You hope it's a fan but
you feel in your gut it's the second hard drive in the RAID5 array that
holds the data that will get your mortgage paid on time and maybe even get
you a bonus if you pull this off.

Ending #1:
You hesitantly type emacs /etc/fstab. the grinding noise stays constant as
the drive light blinks. As the file you know has less than 20 lines in it
loads, you notice the hard drive stops blinking and stays on. The keystrokes
seem to take forever to appear on the screen. You realize you should be
trying to salvage the drive data and try to quickly close but the grinding
noise starts up louder. The screen freezes. The boss' assistant mutters
something under her breath. Something about "termination papers".

Ending #2
You type vi /etc/fstab and realize that's not the right place to start. You
quickly hit ":q!" and notice the drive light only blinks. You cat
/proc/mdstat and see that a single drive has failed in the array. You stop
the array entirely. The grinding noise stops. The boss pats your shoulder
and says "that sounds like you have things under control". The boss'
assistant smiles at you as she pushes the boss out of the room and mouths
silently "Good job". You power down the failed drive, replace it, the array
comes back up running slow, but running. The bookkeeper access the payroll
files and that Friday you get 2 checks deposited, your regular one plus a
bonus.

Ending #3
exec Ending #1 &
You awake dripping in sweat. Your SO is shaking you panicked. "Are you OK?
You were screaming in your sleep!" You mutter "just a work nightmare" and
try to go back to sleep. After tossing and turning for the rest of the
night, you stumble in to work to verify the backups are good. When you bring
up the config file to add a verification check you type emacs
/etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf and notice the grinding sound...
-------------------------------

Even if you master emacs learn the basics of vi: open and close files, edit
a simple line, copy and delete a line, basic movements around a file and
basic search within a file.

2008/5/8 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>:

> On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 09:27 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> > Friends don't let friends use emacs...
>
> _REAL_ friends don't let friends use anything _but_.  :)
>
>        --- Mike
>
> --
> Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
> home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us