[ale] printers

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu May 8 17:40:02 EDT 2008

On Thu May 8 2008, Scott Castaline wrote:
> > hmm, failed... looked at hplip, mine is 2.8.2, apt-get install says i
> > have the latest, but hp has 2.8.4 ...
> >
> > I already have my hp 8510 setup as a remote printer for my wifes laptop..
> >

> what was the error? did the gui ever start, or did it just print a lot
> of text and quit.

it starts, tells me there is no PPD, so I select OTHER, and select the
hpofficeject 5600 ( mine is a 5610). It says:

# hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 2.8.4)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 7.2

Copyright (c) 2001-8 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed
error: PPD not file found. An appropriate PPD file could not be found. Please
check your HPLIP install, use <i>Select Other...</i>, or download one from
linuxprinting.org.
error: Printer queue setup failed. Please restart CUPS and try again.

error: Fax queue setup failed. Please restart CUPS and try again.
error: Printer queue setup failed. Please restart CUPS and try again.
error: Fax queue setup failed. Please restart CUPS and try again.
lpr: The printer or class was not found.
error: Print command failed with exit code 256!

Done.

I restart cups, and the printer doesn't show up. My 8510 does, but it was
already there.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800