[ale] Exporting M$ Express mail files (MacOS -> ???)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 7 08:27:03 EDT 2008

> I am consistently surprised how many end-users actively manage their
> PSTs.  ie. Name them specifically.  Move messages between them for
> proper segregation.  Move their PSTs on to corporate file servers.
> Make backups.  Burn them to DVD, etc.
>
> My impression is about 50% of users actively work with their PSTs.

Do they move things around at the filesystem level or are they simply using
the Outlook gui to create and name files and move messages between
containers? I train all of my people to do just that and stop leaving
everything in the stupid inbox! Filters and folders mean they can find their
email.

I can't see why anyone the computer status outside of sysadmin/guru would
ever consider using filesystem tools to manipulate mail files (on any
platform! Linux included!). The thought of anyone in the 90% of non-admin
users (and a vast majority of admins as well) editing a PST file to extract
a  mail message and put it somewhere else is almost laughable.

James P. Kinney III