[ale] OT: Planes and Li-Ion batteries

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Mon May 5 10:07:24 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Christopher Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> I'm flying to Seattle Sunday and it is a 5.5 hour trip.  I want to take
>  an extra laptop battery so my laptop will last most the trip.  I thought
>  I read somewhere that this is no longer allowed.  Anyone know the
>  details?

You are mostly correct... although enforcement varies.  It's like
somethings, if they find it they keep it.... but if they don't then
you are clear.   I regularly take butt-loads of electronics through
Hartsfield security lines... nobody has yet to count up all my
batteries.  I just went through the new South-T security lines about
30 mins ago, 2 laptop batteries , an ipod, ipod battery extender
(external batt pack), blackberry, blackberry spare battery, razr,
chargers for everything, backup blackberry charger, extension cord,
and a power converter.   ;-)  They pulled the power converter out of
my suitcase and double scanned it, nothing else concerned them.

That said, I would recommend you keep it together with your laptop,
stored in your laptop bag.  You don't want to have the appearance of
trying to evade the TSA. ;-)

-Jim P.