[ale] Intelligent Power (was global warming) [OT]

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu May 1 10:15:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Jon Reagan wrote:

> waitaminute...
>
> they're making diesel fuel out of turkey gizzards now?

Actually, if I recall my reading correctly, the plant indicated is making
a hydrocarbon fuel (not sure it quite qualifies as diesel yet) from turkey
and/or other animal processing scraps. Bones appear to be included, as
well as water in the flesh and blood. Products include the fuel, a gaseous
fuel line used to run the plant, and a liquid which is sold as a liquid
fertilizer.

With crude oil running at +$100/barrel, and IMHO not coming down, this may
be one of the first alternative energy systems to have actually broken
into economic sense. Beats the hell out of ethanol or other fermented
alcohols (butanol??) economically, but you only hear the media flogging
ethanol. Somebody must love the subsidy...

Sorry. Must have gotten up on the soapbox side of the bed this morning.