[ale] Battling Distros and unwrapped '#include's

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu May 1 09:06:44 EDT 2008

Geoffrey -

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Geoffrey wrote:

> Dare I suggest that you formalize your specs so that you develop on the
> one target distro?  I suspect this won't be the last problem you run
> into regarding different distros.

You have a point, but I think there's a counterpoint as well. I am more
comfortable with diverse development environments so we solve problems
like this one at a time. Otherwise we can coast along until we are forced
to change work settings, then be blind-sided with a lot of problems to fix
at once.

> Unless, of course, the application is designed to run on multiple distros..

These products have their own run-time environments (eCos or embedded
Linux) that we try to hold fixed. We also try to share code between them -
sometimes easy, sometimes not. It's a matter of preferences and secondary
factors among the developers. But as I say, I see some [secondary] value
in the process.

Other products run in full PC GNU/Linux environment. For those, we do
standardize the Linux environment to the extent of delivering a full
installation CD with OS, libs and apps. Here we have been through some
extensive rework when the Linux kernel changed. No magic bullet: you just
choose when to jump and hope the alligators are drowsy!

Thanks for the comments.

  - Mills