[ale] Best firewall/router disti with PPOE

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Mar 28 14:58:13 EDT 2008

James Sumners wrote:
> I use a Linksys WRT54G-L with Tomato installed
> (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato). It's the only Linksys product I've
> found to be worth the money. But I think that is mostly because I
> don't have to use their firmware! ;)

I can second this approach. You can get a router that's probably as
powerful as your current PC [0] but will use only a half-dozen watts.

The Asus Wl-500G is what I have, and the Linksys WRTSL54GS may also be a
good choice. Both have 266mhz processors, 32mb of RAM, 8mb of flash, and
a usb port for adding storage or a printer. The Asus is $80 on newegg.

I've been happily running the "White Russian" release of the OpenWRT
firmware [0] and the X-Wrt web interface [1] for a while. Right now I'm
just using it for DNS, DHCP, and QoS, but it has everything you could
want: linux, busybox, and a package management system with prebuilt
binaries for lots of software like Apache, Asterisk, CUPS, OpenVPN, etc.

-Brian

[0] http://openwrt.org/
[1] http://x-wrt.org/