[ale] Weird ubuntu tricks...

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 08:46:57 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>
wrote:

> Actually, I would prefer that NO load overload my power supply. ;)  You
> really want at least 'a little bit more' power supply then you thing you
> will actually need for the heaviest load you're going to run, even if
> that heavy load is only once in a blue moon.

To add to this: power supply efficiency peaks around 80-90% of the max
rating. So a 400W psu is really best used at 340W output. Now the crunchy
part is most psu's are less than perfect at the extremes of the power usage
band. This amounts to noise on the DC lines. This noise seems to get worse
at the upper end of the power output. The lower end is easier to filter out
the noise (low cost so it happens) than the high output end ($$$$$).

James P. Kinney III