[ale] .procmail away response

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Mar 25 15:51:14 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 14:48 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> http://devhen.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/how-to-setup-a-vacation-autoresponder-with-procmail-sendmail/
>
> This has a recipie for vacation message if incoming is not marked as
> spam.

	It still violates the autoresponder BCP dictum of NEVER responding to
any message with precedence value less than 0 (none set or "first-class"
delivery or equivalent).  It would respond to messages from this list
(which go out precedence: List) or bulk mail (precendence: Bulk) which
is a no-no in spite of certain lame major vendors screwing it ip.

	Testing should be done on the numerical value of the precedence.  MS
screwed that up ages ago when the did a string check on "bulk" (which is
what bounce messages are usually set to) and failed to check for list,
resulting in Exchange vacation messages spamming mailing lists.

	Standard default table of precedence values from sendmail.cf:

Pfirst-class=0
Pspecial-delivery=100
Plist=-30
Pbulk=-60
Pjunk=-100

	These are the values in the sendmail.cf file but these are not sendmail
specific.

	Mike