[ale] Examining pre-existing LVM

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Mar 20 17:10:01 EDT 2008

I have two external SCSI enclosures, with one disk drive in each one,
that came from another system.  Each has a single partition, type 8e
(Linux LVM).  I want to bring those drives up to examine/recover their
contents.  I've successfully connected them to a card on a server that
is booted to a Gentoo liveCD and LVM is up and working.

Naturally, I want to be nondestructive (better still, read-only) in
anything I do.

None of the LVM docs I've found deal with pre-existing LVM partitions
when the original arrangement isn't known.  Any tips on how to proceed?

- Jeff