[ale] Open Source Campaigning in the Democratic Race!!

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Mar 19 03:56:47 EDT 2008

Tim Watts wrote:
> Maybe. But I think that kind of association muddles the meaning of open source
> which, in the end, does a disservice to the movement. Open source is to class
> as fruit is to paint.

Micah Sifry had a piece in The Nation a few years back where I think he
nicely illustrates the association between open source software and open
source politics.

"The term 'open source' specifically refers to allowing any software
developer to see the underlying source code of a program, so that anyone
can analyze it and improve it; better code trumps bad code, and
programmers who have proven their smarts have greater credibility and
status. Applied to political organizing, open source would mean opening
up participation in planning and implementation to the community,
letting competing actors evaluate the value of your plans and actions,
being able to shift resources away from bad plans and bad planners and
toward better ones, and expecting more of participants in return. It
would mean moving away from egocentric organizations and toward
network-centric organizing."

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20041122/sifry

About class: I don't think that's true in software or politics, but
that's probably not a discussion for this list.

-Brian