[ale] Setting domain name from DHCP?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 23:15:34 EDT 2008

You will need to have a host section for each machine identifiable by MAC
address. In that section you can spec a host name to be applied. For
example, I want my inkjet to always have the following settings:

host HP_1100 {
  hardware ethernet 00:01:e6:6a:89:ff;
  fixed-address 192.168.0.3;
  option host-name "HP Inkjet 1100";
}

It will get the domain name from the earlier setting.

2008/3/15 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>:

> Alright, so I am in the midst of doing some massively needed, quite
> overdue overhauling of my server to match the needs of my little home
> network better.
>
> I am trying to centralize just about every aspect of the network, but am
> apparently failing to do so in some respects.  I would like each machine
> to have the name <hostname>, where the hostname is set locally on the
> machine, but with a domain name as well, supplied by my DHCP server.
>
> When I connect to the network, the DHCP server provides the following
> information:
>
> -------------------------
> Mar 15 18:09:19 sage NetworkManager: <info>  Retrieved the following IP4
> configuration from the DHCP daemon:
> Mar 15 18:09:19 sage NetworkManager: <info>    address 10.0.1.1
> Mar 15 18:09:19 sage NetworkManager: <info>    netmask 255.0.0.0
> Mar 15 18:09:19 sage NetworkManager: <info>    broadcast 10.255.255.255
> Mar 15 18:09:19 sage NetworkManager: <info>    gateway 10.0.0.1
> Mar 15 18:09:19 sage NetworkManager: <info>    nameserver 10.0.0.1
> Mar 15 18:09:19 sage NetworkManager: <info>    domain name 'spicerack'
> -------------------------
>
> It is supplying the domain name, just fine, however:
>
> -------------------------
> mbt at sage:~$ dnsdomainname
> mbt at sage:~$ hostname
> sage
> mbt at sage:~$ hostname --fqdn
> sage
> mbt at sage:~$
> -------------------------
>
> Seems to show that the machine isn't picking it up from the DHCP server.
> What I would like to happen is to have the domain name picked up from
> the DHCP server sending that information.  These machines are all Ubuntu
> machines, using NetworkManager to connect to the network.  Is there a
> way to do this, or do I /have/ to set the domain name on each of the
> workstations manually?
>
>        --- Mike
>
> --
> Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us