[ale] One file, two LANs

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 23:11:54 EDT 2008

We go through similar situations in the military.
IE Separate networks, that cannot touch.

If they are *that* paranoid about security, here is *a* solution:
Edit the file on net1.
Burn version 20080313:2211-foo.xls to CD at the end of the day.
Walk CD from net1 to net2, hand to big wazoo.
Copy info off cd.
Shred CD.

Course of Action #2
Setup Linux Box w/ Spreadsheet editor of choice (lets assume OOCalc)
Setup OOCalc to auto save the file every XX-minutes.
Setup iptables to block everything except port 25/whatever.
Write CRON job to the effect of:
ifup eth0
mutt -a foo.xls wazoo at foo.bar.com
ifdown eth0

COA #2.5 (which... kindof inspired COA #2): Use UUCP :)

Or... COA #3
use scrmgr (ncurses data entry program http://bhepple.freeshell.org/scrmgr/)
Set that as the shell so users can't do anything but enter raw data.
and feed that into rrdtool and a website.
The wazoos on the outside of the box see a pretty website with charts and
graphs. The users on the box itself only see ncurses. Best of both worlds.

-George